Ducks Volleyball Social Media Policy
The Ducks Volleyball Club recognizes and supports its members’ rights to freedom of speech and expression including the use of social networks. In this context, however, each member must remember that playing and competing for Ducks VC is a privilege, not a right. As coach, athlete or volunteer you represent Ducks VC and you are expected to portray yourself, your team, and the Club in a positive manner at all times. Any online postings must therefore be consistent with Club guidelines.
*All athletes will complete the Social Media Guidelines waiver when registering for tryouts
If you participate on a social networking site, you must keep the following guidance in mind:
• Everything you post is public information – any text or photo placed online is completely out of your control the moment it is placed online – even if you limit access to your site. Information (including photos, videos, comments, and posters) may be accessible even after you remove it.
• Use caution when adding someone or inviting someone to be a friend.
• What you post may affect your future. Many university school admissions officers, scouts, professional teams, national governing bodies, volunteer organizations and employers review social networking sites as part of their overall evaluation of a candidate or employee. Carefully consider how you want people to perceive you before you give them a chance to misinterpret your information (including photos, videos, comments and postings).
• Similar to comments made in person, the Ducks VC will not tolerate disrespectful/offensive comments and behaviour online towards other Ducks’ teams, coaches, & players and opposition teams, coaches, & players.
• Posting inappropriate pictures on social media and attaching inappropriate comments about players or other teams is not allowed.
• Any comment in reference to any physical description of the player or players is not permitted.
• Posting a normal action shot or a team picture is permitted.
Monitoring and Consequences
Any violation of these guidelines is subject to investigation and sanction by the Ducks VC and reserves the right to determine appropriate sanctions for any violation of these guidelines (such sanctions may vary from removal of the objectionable material, suspension or dismissal).
*Note: Adapted, with permission, from Coquitlam Metro Ford Soccer Club (March 2014)